Wednesday 27 October 2010

Tattoo's and Del Toro

My boyfriend was watching the footie and I was bored. So, I took advantage of the fact he was glued to the tv and got out my markers and decided to get creative. In 30 mins I 'tatooed' half his arm and he didn't really mind. He said it felt 'kinda tickly and rather nice'. So next time he sticks on the boring sports channel I'll be ready with my pens!!
Also this weekend I watched 'The Devils Backbone' on Film4. Im a big fan of Guillermo Del Toro so was expecting his usual magic. I was not disappointed. The idea of 'that moment in time', people suspended in that moment. A glimpse of a state of living. The children in the orphange were suspended in a type of limbo. The Spanish civil war was happening around them and they were left forgotten. There was also a horror element to the film, with the presence of the ghosts. I loved how visually the ghosts were represented. They were alluring yet unsettling, but helped the children and became a comforting type of spirit. I liked the fact I left the film feeling comforted by the idea of ghosts. I usually avoid ghost films as they just heighten my fear of the paranormal.The way Del Toro weaves the fantasy, horror and reality together is what draws me to his films, I missed 'Cronos' on Friday night but hopefully it will be repeated again.

No comments:

Post a Comment