Monday 16 June 2014

Benvenuto Cellini


Last Thursday was my first visit to the English National Opera. I went to see ‘Benvenuto Cellini’ directed by Terry Gilliam. I was excited to see such an imaginative film director adapt this Berlioz opera and I was not disappointed. The production was dazzling with large scale scenery, film projections, acrobats and crazy colourful characters.
 

  
Opening with a spectacular pre celebration of Mardi Gras, the streets filled with dancers, acrobats, artists and townspeople. Large puppets swung either side of the stage, glittery confetti tumbled from the sky falling over the audience and naturally causing me to squeal with delight. 

Cellini the sculptor, fiery, brash and macho. Strutting about the stage with full command, stealing into Teresa’s bedroom in a hot air balloon and in a passionate rage threatening to destroy his beautiful sculpture. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment