Thursday 8 November 2012

HALLOWEEN



My first Halloween in Canada

Passing all the houses that were decorated for the upcoming October 31st made the build up to Halloween all the more thrilling.
This clever pumpkin-turned burger was positioned outside our complex- It managed to make me hungry every morning.
This house added a new decoration to their exterior every day. By Halloween the front garden was a labyrinth of hanging ghouls, cackling witches and tape that read ‘caution’. 



This year I decided Jack and I should be scarecrows. Jack wanted to be a scary scarecrow (think Batman) but over time I reasoned with him to be a cute scarecrow with me.
In the end, Jack made a really good scarecrow where as I look more like a country bumpkin or an extra from ‘Little House on the Prairie’


We got some shirts from 'Value Village' and I sewed some straw to the sleeves and pockets. We did the same with the hats (also from thrift stores) and added some crows to our heads and shoulders. They were from the Dollar Giant.  
 I think Jack makes a great scarecrow. Maybe another time we'll do a wizard of oz theme dress-up.
Speaking of Wizard of Oz, i found this illustration in a craft shop and it hangs in our room:
  Ive never been huge on wizard of oz but these drawings really caught my eye
 We went to a pub called ‘The Buck and ear’. It was acoustic night at the pub and apart from a few hanging cobwebs…you wouldn’t know it was the night of Halloween.
But we made the most of it and managed to meet a few people who seemed as devoted to Halloween as we were. These people were very friendly and we ended our night by exchanging numbers and dancing to ‘Gangnam style’

 Now my straw hat hangs in my room, 
it feels like a very Canadian piece of decor

No comments:

Post a Comment