Sunday 13 May 2012

Yayoi Kusama

Yayoi Kusama
Tate Modern: Exhibition

We visited Tate modern during the Easter break.
and......it has taken me this long to write about it
On previous visits to the Tate, I had taken an underground subway tunnel that linked Blackfriars train station to the museum. This time however, we walked from St.Paul's and over the bridge which made the journey alot grander. 
Taking in the cathedral, which served as a backdrop to the bustling city we stopped like tourists to photograph our city.
Yayoi Kusama had caught my eye in Time Out with photos of large polka dot spheres suspended from the ceiling. Alot of her art and photography was very playful, her relasionship with nature and colour was childlike and fun, especially in the simple shapes she used to decorate the human body. I got a heavy mystic influence from her work, along with an importance for performance art, self expression and the spirituality of gatherings.

me enjoying the inflatables

 photos of Yayoi Kusama on a timeline
  
A film made by Kusama that featured her adorning bodies with stickers also showed her decorating a horse in which she then rode around a forest. I liked how she dressed things up with these small neon stickers. Several installations featured similar methods. One room in the style of a living room had stickers covering the walls and floors that became illuminated under the uv light. 
Another room was filled with dangling lights and walls of mirror. I felt as if I were floating in a sea of fairy lights, totally surrounded. With every change of colour, a different sensation and atmosphere. I could have stayed standing in that room of lights for hours, I loved it. 
The exhibition was something I really enjoyed and I was happy to discover someone new whos work I found very inspiring. I hadn't heard of Kusama before seeing the timeout artical, but Im very interested in her work and have researched much since that day

We couldnt film in there (which was a shame) but I found some good photos online

 Photographs: Sarah Lee for the Guardian 
 

The Tates canteen had a beautiful wall covered with the Alighiero Boetti piece 'Aerei'
I loved this piece. However, I was a bit disappointed to realise this was my favourite piece
still after seeing the Boetti exhibition. 
Nothing better caught my eye in that exhibition and I wouldve been disappointed had I visited the tate especially for it.

Whilst at the museum, Jack took this opportunity to escape the stresses 
of modern life and indulge in some quiet reflection.

As he pondered by a substantially large tree, he realised he was being watched.
 He turned his back upon me and my posed camera and tried to enjoy the feeling of being 'one' with modern art


These pieces by Marcel Dzama were really nice

 
 
 

 Here is some more of his work that I like (that wasn't at the Tate)
 
  we wanted to stay more but the museum was closing 
and security men told us "please leave"
so we left

Then Jack proposed we go for dinner, which we did
Here is Jack seated by a lovely advert of a baby


No comments:

Post a Comment