Sunday 13 May 2012

Daisies: film review


Daisies (Sedmikrásky) (1966)

I had read a review that had said ‘daises’ was an a film full of ‘nonsense’ that featured nothing more than ‘ two girls dressing up, being silly and jumping around being cute’.
it all sounded like my type of film. Generally I find anything cute, decorative and dream-like irresistible and dressing-up is a favourite pastime of mine. 

 I was left very disappointed by the movie. It was quite sickly actually.
The two girls were incredibly bored… so decided to spend/waste their time by dressing up, running around with apples and going to dinner with different men.
The dinner parts could’ve been quite fun if that silly girl had stopped showing off and ordering too much food. The ‘playful’ acting was gross. The type you see at the theatre when 25 year olds are playing Wendy, John and Michael and Peter Pan is nearing 40.
 The baby voices that the 2 girls adopted irritated me as did the silly cross-eyed expression the brown haired one would pull. The choreographed way they would skip around, giggle and play fight…it was all rather embarrassing.

I allow this film to be bad for two reasons.

One, In spite of the two characters, it did have some lovely visuals. I have included some screen captures because they really were very nice. Some animation was used and it felt really fresh and exciting. I really liked the palette and experimentation of colour
 Two, it was made in 1966 but it didn’t feel at all dated. It all felt very contemporary 




No comments:

Post a Comment