Thursday 6 March 2014

‘The Great War In Portraits'


A few days ago I went to the National Portrait Gallery to see one of my favourite paintings on display ‘self portrait as soldier’ by Kirchner. I knew the painting was going to be displayed in the new ‘Great War’ exhibition (free entry) and was excited to see this painting up close, as I had no idea of its size. This is always interesting when one has gazed so fondly at a reproduced image but never considered how it would be up close. I first consciously came across this painting in sixth form when I was looking at German Expressionism and was captured by the crude, haunting expression of Kirchner’s portrait. The severed hand suggesting lack of creativity and ability to paint against the blacked out eyes suggests deadness; a feeling all too prevalent with War. I love the expressionists visible brush strokes, flat bold colours and exaggerated characters.
I could’ve stood in front of the Kirchner painting for hours actually, I felt so connected to it. It was smaller than I was expecting (of course) but the paintwork was exactly as I imagined and the cigarette still felt so camp and reckless that there was still that drollness present.

Some other things of interest done recently:
Played Laser Quest, had a vegetarian breakfast at Carnaby streets ‘The Diner’, watched ‘Legends of The Fall’ (Amazing movie) and ‘Last of the Mohicans’.
Also, I am part of an ensemble of the production ‘Dialogues of the Carmelites’ which will be on at the royal Opera House. I have been attending rehearsals every Monday and last week we had a talk by Director Kasper Holten, which was completely inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment