Monday 12 March 2012

Slaves of New York

'Slaves of New York'
Director: James Ivory, 1989 
 set in the art scene and full of playful costumes!

 
Even though Bernadette wasn't in a particularly comic role, 
the story was very true to real life. 
Set in the art scene, an exploration of over selling and under selling your talents.
Some of the trendy 'art crowd' were all too familiar. 
 
I’ve always loved the way Bernadette talks. 
Her American high pitched voice that made her Lily St. Regis
 performance so funny and entertaining in the musical 'Annie'.
I watched 'Annie' alot as a child and Lily was always my favourite character-
 even though she was bad!
Then Karen Walker's sister in 'Will and Grace' saw Bernadette as Virginia
Gin- for short
the episode 'Whatever Happened to Baby Gin?' is probably one of my favourite 
Will and Grace episodes. and I am a huge Will and Grace fan!
Partly because it is a parody of the wickedly fun 'Baby Jane' 
and partly because Bernadette Peters gives such a comic performance 
as Karens crippled sister.

I rented 'Slaves of New York' from lovefilm as I wanted to see more films 
with Bernadette Peters. 
 I thought the insecurities Eleanor had in the film were very realistic and a reminder of how important it is to believe in you're own capabilities and trust yourself! 
The writer Tama Janowitz also appeared in the film as Eleanor's friend. 
She would stay in the toilet at parties and was really funny. 
 Eleanors hats she designed were crazy!!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment